For those interested in supporting people in and around Houston who are waking up to devastation from Harvey each day, there are a few options below for how you can do that *directly* and without going through nonprofit organizations like the Red Cross and Salvation Army, which have questionable distribution practices.
(Thanks to to DiDi Delgado and Dr. Roni Dean-Burren for setting up and supporting this system, and to SURJ Boston for pulling these requests together.)
In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, we bear witness to the fact that people of color, immigrants, poor people, disabled people, queer and trans people, and others who experience compounded marginalization bear the brunt of climate change, while the rich profit from environmental racism in safety.
For those interested in supporting people in and around Houston who are waking up to devastation each day, there are a few options below for how you can do that *directly* and without going through nonprofit organizations like the Red Cross and Salvation Army, which have questionable distribution practices.
In general, we remind you that money and specific items that are REQUESTED by people on the ground are the most important to donate. Large amounts of clothes, toys, stuffed animals, etc. can create a common problem known as "the second disaster" by clogging up space, time, and resources.
Here are FOUR ways YOU can support those most impacted by this crisis:
1) Direct donations to Black women and femmes impacted by the crisis (text adapted from DiDi Delgado at BLM Cambridge)
SO FAR: Thanks to Roni's list we were able to raise and re-distribute AT LEAST $20,000.00 DIRECTLY to Black women impacted by Hurricane Harvey!! In five hours, 758 people made over 1,000 individual donations with over 1,500 shares on social media.
**HOW TO DONATE**
- Go here (http://bit.ly/SupportBlackWomenHOU) and pick Black women from this list to donate to. Dr. Roni Dean-Burren complied and vetted all of the women listed. I suggest picking someone whose name starts with the first letter of your mother figure's name. So, for example, if your mom's name is Gail, pick a woman whose name starts with "G." Give her $20 or more. Keep doing that until you can't afford it anymore.
- Go to THIS poll and select the woman or women you donated to. This will allow us to keep track of who's getting funds. Also, once we get rolling, we can click "See Stats" at the bottom of the poll to help make our decision of who to donate to so we're not missing anybody. (We're updating the list regularly, so if the woman you selected isn't on the poll, select: "Toiletries For Families (Anon).")
Note: Most of the women have PayPal, but many have the Cash App and some have Venmo. IF YOU'RE A CHARITABLE PERSON, PLEASE JUST GET ALL THREE.
We will continue to compile and refine the donation list through the coming weeks. It will take much more community support to heal and restore all those impacted by Harvey. But what we have accomplished so far is not a small feat. We did something unprecedented, and thank you to everyone who was a part of it.
2) Donate to vetted organizations that serve people of color, queer people, and those most vulnerable to the storm and structural oppression.
You can also use this Google Doc: Harvey - Money for the People
3) BLM Houston is specifically accepting school supplies donations.
Mail supplies to Brandon Mack, 6100 Main Street, Rice University MS-17, Houston, TX 77005. Full post is here.
Their needs include:
*white copy paper
They also shared this post from Ashton Woods of shelters that need supplies and what they need, if you can check that out, as well.
4) If you live in Boston, help fill Black and Pink's truck full of supplies that will leave Boston for Houston around Sept 8. Black and Pink is a prisoner/former prisoner, POC-led organization working for queer liberation and prison abolition.
Black and Pink is sending members and a truck full of supplies to Houston!
Drop off points:
3-6 pm, THIS SUNDAY, Sept 3, at encuentro 5 (9a Hamilton Pl, Downtown)
(*also the City School and Boston Brewin everyday before 5 pm through September 7)
*sheets and towels
Please send only these items; NO CLOTHES.
Thank you to all who have already generously given, and thank you to all who will give over the next few days. Please share this post widely via social media so that folks across your social network will see all of the concrete ways that they can support those who will continue to be impacted after the TV cameras roll away…