INVITATION TO PROPHETIC IMAGINATION: COMMUNITY SAFETY FOR ALL
A CAMPAIGN OF SURJ-FAITH
Imagine a world in which all people are safe. Imagine a world in which no one’s safety is predicated on increased peril for others.
We are living in times that call for prophetic imagination and a courageous willingness to “practice the world we wish to see,” as adrienne maree brown says in Emergent Strategy. These times also call for honest reflection on the ways we as white folk participate in the perpetuation of racism and can repent, literally to go back and walk a different way.
In that spirit, SURJ-Faith is organizing a campaign that asks faith/spiritual communities to examine our relationship to policing and police violence. This campaign is an act of accountability to people of color who are asking white people to join them in imagining and taking action toward a world without policing, and is also aligned with the Vision for Black Lives.
In this campaign, we are asking questions like:
- How do faith/spiritual communities legitimize and reinforce the “need” for policing?
- How are faith/spiritual institutions tied to institutions of policing?
- How can faith communities act to disrupt the prison and ICE pipelines?
- What might alternatives to policing look like?
- What might community safety look like without relying on policing, and how might faith/spiritual communities participate in that work?
If you are interested in joining the campaign and/or would like more information, please let us know here!
- Deepen our understanding of the history of policing and its connection to the enforcement of white supremacy
- Reflect honestly on the role faith/spiritual communities play in upholding the system of policing.
- Imagine, explore, and engage in alternatives to policing, both internal and community-based, that center accountability to communities of color, collective liberation, and harm reduction strategies.
- Publicly extricate our faith/spiritual communities from unjust systems of policing.
Read our FAQs document here.
- Holy Week 2018: Read the SURJ-Faith Holy Week Declaration and Press Release for the Community Safety for All campaign's initial phase. During Holy Week of 2018 5 Christian/UUA congregations declared their commitment to investing in a world beyond policing. Check out one congregation's story here. Interested in joining the campaign? Let us know here.
- The Word Is Resistance: SURJ-Faith's own podcast! Join our team of podcasters as we explore the Christian lectionary for tools of resistance, with a weekly call to action that connects sacred texts to sacred moments of resistance. On Soundcloud and available via iTunes.
- Political Education Resource: We continue to update this resource list that includes articles, videos, books, and other pieces regarding the history and impact of policing as well as alternatives communities are trying out.
- Countering Anti-Semitism Resource: This list of articles and books is particularly pertinent to Christians and UUs for understanding Christianity's role in the development of Anti-Semitism, how to dismantle Anti-Semitism in biblical interpretation, and how Anti-Semitism also upholds white supremacy. We continue to update this list.
- "13th" Faith Discussion Guide: We developed this discussion guide for faith/spiritual communities viewing the documentary "13th" regarding the 13th Amendment and the policing of communities of color. Discussion questions include steps for action.
- Resipisence: A Lenten Devotional for Dismantling White Supremacy: This book is a project of SURJ-Faith, Movement in Faith, and Seminary of the Street, published in February 2018 for the Christian RCL Year B lectionary texts. Link above is for the PDF. Spiral-bound print-copy available here.